Listed in Florida Trend's Top Lobbying Firms (March 2013)
“Smith Bryan & Myers’ business sense and can-do attitude set them apart from other government relations firms. These are creative problem solvers who find a path forward and follow it tenaciously until they reach their goal.”
William G. Sawyer, President and CEO
“When Shands decided to seek major tort reform legislation, we hired David Daniel at the firm of Smith, Bryan and Myers to get it through the Legislature. We succeeded the first time, thanks to the strategy plan and work ethic of David Daniel and his Firm.”
Tim Goldfarb, CEO
"Our relationship with Smith, Bryan & Myers has been key to our success in Florida. With their guidance we have won new contracts and developed strong relationships with officials throughout FL State Government."
Jamie Gagnon, Government Affairs & Business Development Manager
L-1 Identity Solutions
"When a company or leading association needs results in Florida, they can't go wrong with David Daniel as he is experienced, respected and he simply gets the job done for his clients - period."
Mark Wilson, President and CEO
Florida Chamber of Commerce
"Smith, Bryan and Myers bring energy, creativity, and just plain effort to every assignment; they set the standard for professionalism in the lobbying industry."
Tony Marshall, Executive Vice President
Florida Health Care Association
"Smith Bryan and Myers created a law to encourage the State of Florida to do business with companies like ours. Today we have three contracts with the State and we are negotiating another. The firm is respected by legislators and staff alike -- and it is easy to see that they enjoy representing us."
Jennifer McMullen, Vice President for Customer Relations
Corrections Corporation of America
"Smith Bryan and Myers agreed to represent us when we weren't much of a force in the legislature -- they rolled up their sleeves and got to work immediately. Today, we have a statewide presence and have good relationships with the leadership in both parties. Everyone knows they work hard, but they also bring a depth and creativity to the process that is not often seen from advocates."
Richard Hancock, Executive Vice President
Florida Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners Association
Matt Bryan joined Smith, Bryan & Myers in April of 1984. He was named President of the firm in January of 1994. Since being named President, he has been responsible for the firm’s legislative program.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as a special assistant to Lt. Governor Secretary of Commerce Wayne Mixson. He began his career as an aide to Governor Bob Graham in 1982 and was a consultant to the Graham for Governor Campaign in the same year.
Since joining the firm, he has successfully coordinated advocacy programs for many of the firm’s clients, including:
- Legislative passage of a significant tax exemption for professional sports franchise facilities.
- Legislative passage of an inter-track wagering system for Florida pari-mutuel facilities.
- Legislative approval of set aside funding for thoroughbred breeders from slot machine revenue.
- Legislative passage of a statewide program of credit card acceptance in all of Florida’s state and local governmental agencies.
- Securing several submerged land leases and development permits from the Florida Cabinet.
- Assisting multiple clients in obtaining large contracts with the state, including the on-line games contract for the Florida Lottery, the auto emission inspection contract for northeast Florida and the financing, design, construction, and operation of several private prisons.
- Directing the firm’s fundraising efforts on behalf of legislators, local officials, Cabinets officers and Governors.
Matt Bryan attended the University of Texas at Austin before receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Florida in 1982 in Political Administration.